Thread: Potty Machine!
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 12:08 PM   #5
Kathy
Yorkie Yakker

Default Potty Machine

Hi -You should have no trouble with your training. I agree with the kitchen except I don't think you should use the entire kitchen at first. You will not know for sure if she is going all the time on the pad or the floor. My first set up was in the kitchen. She went on the pad, but, I noticed that the pooop dragged around the room and she urinated in front of the gate (I think from being upset or nervous) also. Either way, it was so little that I could hardly tell. It could have been missed (and I certainly do not want that to continue). When you are not there, give her enough room for a small crate, one pad and little bowls. That way you will see what is going on. The pad will ultimately just be there when you are finished with the pen. Then, when you are sure that she uses it all the time, give her the entire kitchen. I spoke with many TRAINED yorkie owners who did it this way. They did not give the entire kitchen (too big). I bought the pen at Pet Smart. It has pieces that fold up and it can make different shapes. I made it into a rectangule using 6 panels. I can tell you that it seems to be working so far. Last night, she slept in it (goes into the comfy crate) until I came down and woke her up this morning. No wet spots on pad. Slept right through (I put her in at midnight because we were cuddling before that). This morning I took her outside. Too cold for her. She sat and shivered. I put her back into her pen. Told her to go potty and she did. The pen makes it so that she is in one place and not wondering all around. You are able to tell her to go potty and then praise her when she does. I would suggest to keep her crate in there for now. Unless, you are going to get up in the middle of the night when she has to go potty and carry her to her confined pad. You can do that if you think she is big enough to hold it all night. By not having her in the room with me at night, I am helping her to not be sooo dependent on me being with her "allll" the time (I have heard that that can be a problem). I figure that, after I know that she can hold it all night, and after I put her in the crate (without pad near by in pen),... then.... can she sleep in the bedroom ( I will put her in her crate in my room first until I am absolutely sure that she knows and uses the pad everytime). I have been known to make myself crazy with the "how to do something" but once I figure it out I usually get it (now who knows with yorkies, she may change all of my ways of thinking in time). I have trained many animals (parrots, cats, dogs, pot belly pigs). So, I figure that I will eventually figure this one out too (laughin). Anyway...those are my suggestions for now. Hey, by next week, I may be asking for help again myself (laughin).- Kathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfc3rid
I am trying to envision the pen you have set up. It sounds like you are doing a terrific job. I am at this point trying to determine what would be my best method for traning my Yorkie when I finally find one and then adopt one. My home is a row house with small backyard, acessible only from the basement... I live inthe first floor apartment my parents live in the second dloor apartment. My plan for days currently is to set up a play pen or baby gate area in the kitchen (where it is nice and warm during the day and my dad who is retired and home 95% of the time suring the day) can be to watch... The best I think would be to have a wee wee pad in there since it is about a minute to get from my apartment to our yard... Trust me I would love to go outside to the yard all the time to train but the way my house is I don't see it as possible. At night I am planning on having the crate in my room with me.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!