View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
pauldo
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default One of my newborn puppies died... advice??

One of my 2 female yorkies had her puppies tonight. Three little girls. She did not have a great delivery compared to my other yorkie, Kira, who popped out 5 puppies in 2 hours. Molly's contractions dragged out for hours. I had to pull out the 1st , and she had no interest in breaking the sack, chewing the cord so I had to do all that. She was nursing her first 2 puppies, when I lifted her leg and noticed the 3rd one was 1/2 out. I quickly put the other two puppies aside and gently tried to pull. Nothing happened. I could see she was having contractions but they were very weak and irregular, I wrapped a towel around the puppy to get a better grip and pulled, still nothing. Molly's contractions stopped altogether. The puppy had come bum first, and I could see her little legs and arms moving within the sac. I read somewhere that they could only be in the birth canal for 8 minutes or they could die from lack of oxgen. I was sure I was getting close to the 8 minutes -- so I pulled really firmly and finally the puppy came out. I broke the sack, rubbed, sucked out the mouth and nose with a straw, but the the puppy that only a minute ago had been alive was dead. I feel awful b/c I think somehow I should have been able to get that puppy out quicker. I have been in tears for the last two hours. Do you have any advice -- with the weak contractions Molly had should she have a csection next time, should I have pulled hard from the beginning, or did the pulling hard actually injure the puppy. Feeling confused and very sad...
pauldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!