View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by means143 View Post
Hi, I'm planning to get my baby spayed. Many have said to do it at 6-7months. But I'm worried that she wouldn't keep calm and complicate her stitches/wound after the surgery because she loves to play. Is it better to wait a few months when she's older and more mature? maybe she'll be less playful that time?
I would do it around 6 mo. so that you can make sure to get it done before her first heat. Doing it before her first heat reduces her risk of getting mammary cancer to 1 in 100, and considerably reduces her risk for other things as well. Dogs usually go into heat for the first time between 6 and 10 mo., so I'd get it done as early to 6 mo. as you can!

Bella got spayed this past Friday, so we're on day 4, and there's no keeping her down...she's been playing more and more each day, and today she is just like normal. The vet didn't tell me to restrict her in any way....maybe he was a bit blase though, I don't know? I check her incision site every day, and it still looks really, really good.....amazing how different it looks each day. I can really tell it's healing. I have been trying to limit her jumping since that is the biggest thing that can pull on those sutures (took my bed of the rails so that the mattress and box springs are on the floor to make it lower so she wouldn't have the opportunity to even try jumping on it). Today, I can't keep her from jumping on the couch like I could before. I guess I'll just have to let her do it, but I think she'll be fine. It obviously doesn't hurt her or she'd be more cautious (like she was the last few days)!
bellasmomok is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!