View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
pippinsmommy
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaknnana View Post
How did you find out he was allergic to chicken?? What did he do when he ate it? Was it kibble or cooked chicken? THANKS
Well ever since we got him he we would always feed him a little bit of chicken and when we moved into a new house whenever there was a cooked chicken in the house I'd cut some up for him at dinner time in a bowl with some cut up baby carrot and a little bit of rice and it wasn't until just a month or so after he turned a year old that he started showing signs of an allergy. He was scartching everywhere on his body all the time so I took him to the vet and was told that it was just an airborne summer allergy so he got some pills and while on those the itching stopped.

It was about 2-3 weeks after being off the medication that his scratching returned and we were still giving him chicken and then we started noticing that right after eating chicken he'd start scratching really bad so then we figured it was chicken, and we went back to the vet and she said the most common food allergies in dogs is to Chicken and Beef. We've cut out anything with those two things in it and he's doing better. It took us a long time to switch his food because he's so picky but now he likes what he's eating and the vet told me that it would take a full 6-10 weeks to get the old food out of his system. I wanted an allergy test done on him but where i live they don't do them I'd have to make a 5 hour trip and I was told that it's really expensive and the results are inconclusive.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!