Thread: Liver disease
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
MauiGirl
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Unhappy Liver disease

My vet left a message on my answer machine that Tiki's pre-op blood work came back with abnormalities, bile acids are high, so they have cancelled her Nov. 5th spay surgery. They are closed now, so I have to wait until Friday morning to call for more details, and as she said "discuss liver disease".

OMG, I almost fainted, and have cried for 2 hours. I don't know the numbers, or any of the tests etc. that will be coming, but from reading on YT over the last 6 months, I know that this is every Yorkie owner's nightmare. I'm just sick over this and don't even think I can sleep tonight.

Thank God for YT, and all I have learned here. When I made the appointment to have Tiki spayed, I asked about the pre-op blood work. They said it was optional, and usually only recommended for older dogs to check organ function; they don't push it so much for puppies, as they are usually healthy. Well, after reading about it here so much, I said I wanted it done anyway, and opted for the more extensive/expensive version which had to be sent to an outside lab a week before surgery, rather than the more common in-house one on the day of surgery. At least now we can try to diagnose and treat whatever it is.

So, I'll be researching like crazy, and checking back here often for help from all of you who know about liver disease/liver shunt, MVD,etc. Tiki is only 7 months old, and 7 lbs.; is there a chance that high bile acids can be from anything other than liver disease..... like poison, or diet? I'm just praying this isn't true.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!