View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
dabrat76
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default potty training method advice

Hi,

We have 2 yorkies, both between 1-1.5yrs old, male and neutered. They know to go outside, but don't always give us obvious clues and there is a large period of the day that they can't be let out (sleeping, working) so we tried pee pads. SOMETIMES they'll use them. Sometimes they'll pee beside them (far enough that they aren't "missing" them). Once I got so frustrated I put down 8 pads and they STILL didn't always go on them. I've just brought both of them home for the winter (we were at my trailer for the summer for most of the above training) and it's worse because our house is a lot bigger than the trailer and we never know what we're about to step in! They go potty wherever they're standing when they need to go. Often this is just after being let out in the yard (or walked down at camp). So pee pads definitely aren't the answer. Part of the problem (I think) is that since they've gone wherever for so long, they don't try to "hold" it at all, which is frustrating - they're old enough IMHO to go longer than an hour. At camp, they even peed and pooped on our bed! Thankfully they haven't done it (yet) at home on our very expensive bed!

So, here's my question: since the pads aren't working, what should I try next? Because I'd be working just for pee pads as I'd have to paper the house in them to try and get every spot they go. I've thought about belly bands, but our older boy is a 12lber and pees ALOT. One overnight pee can take 2-3 paper towel squares to just cover the area, let alone absorb it all. The 4lber's pees are quite a bit smaller and I think a feminine pad would be fine, but I would like to train them both the same way. And though I can't always let them out, as I do work from home (but I do customer service so I can't just keep running to let them out, my bosses expect me to be taking calls when I'm on shift) I can change belly bands easily enough while working.

I've also thought about litter training, but do you think that would go any better than pee pad training? Any suggestions are welcome! And no, while hubby and I are both frustrated, the boys are going nowhere, no threats of it, we'd all (dogs and 2 cats) live in our car before rehoming would happen. I would just LOVE to not wake up every day and spend an hour cleaning up after my boys!

Sorry for the novel length, I'm a wordy gal

Tara
dabrat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!