View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
twinkie
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Have you tried using a potty training aid spray? You can buy it a Petsmart and is called Potty Training Aid and is by Simple Solution (I'm sure there are other sprays though). All you do is spray it where you want them to pee. The instructions read: Spray a small amount on a pee pad or outdoors where you would like them to pee. Allow your pet to sniff the area and praise her when she performs. Continue the training process my reapplying product and bringing your pet back to the spot often, especially after eating, drinking, playing or napping.
Also, when Maggie pees in the house make sure you use some kind of deodorizing cleaner or spray or she will continue to smell her pee and use the carpet as her toilet.
My male chihuahua is very attracted to the potty training aid - it's kind of gross because he tries to rub his neck in it
Also, I found potty training indoors with a small dog easier especially because I live in a suite - there's no imediate ground level door and they don't wanna freeze their butt off outside and neither do I. If you are interested in pee pad training try the spray and try not to punish Maggie too much - I found positive reinforcement worked wonders. I trained mine by picking them up mid pee / poop (as they are peeing / pooping on the carpet) and placing them on the pee pad - I would also say "eh eh" as soon as I saw them having an accident. Then I would praise them if ANYTHING got on the pad. Then I would leave the pee pad a little dirty so they would go back there (by covering the pee with a paper towel or leaving a small nugget of poop) This worked for all 3 of mine. I hope this helps, I know how frustrating it can be to potty train
twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!