View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
MeAndMyOlivia
YT Addict

Default We're doing great with weewee training...not so much with the poo - ideas??

I just got my sweet 7 year old yorkie a couple of weeks ago. The previous owners said she was a breeder for about 5 years, then they bought her. They kept a weewee pad in her crate, along with food and water - and they said she used the pads in her crate, which seemed strange to me since her food and water was in there too.

Olivia is doing excellent with going weewee outside - only one accident and that was the first night we brought her home. The first few days, it took quite a while outside before she would finally go, but she caught on and now it's a pretty quick process. She loves the treat following a successful weewee trip! LOL Odd thing though, she usually goes on the concrete - not in the grass. She looks like she is thinking "ewwwww, wet grass!"

I don't use the crate for feeding and pottying, I use it for confining her when I am gone. She does pretty good in her crate too; I blocked off the back half of the crate to make a smaller space and she seldom weewees in her crate. But she does poo in there sometimes during the day when I'm at work - I think her natural schedule is to poo mid-day. I have noticed that on the days she doesn't poo in her crate while I'm at work, I will later find poo in some out-of-the-way spot in the house. I take her out as soon as I get home, feed her supper, then take her back outside hoping she will poo then - but only about 2 or 3 times has she poo'd outside. I usually will stay out about 10-15 minutes til she ends up sitting by the door waiting to go back in. So then we come in and I put her on the pad; she just looks at me like "what?" LOL Then she'll walk away, so I put her back on the pad...I do this about 4 or 5 times and then give up. Then later I will find her tiny poo in the house!

I do keep a pad inside right by the back door, since that was what they said she was used to using but she has NEVER used it for me - not for weewee or poo. She also will NOT potty outside if it is raining, so I'm thinking I really need to figure out how to get her to use the pads before the weather turns really cold, wet and then snowy.

Ideas or suggestions?? I just love my Olivia - she is a real sweetheart and seems to be adjusting to our home very well.
MeAndMyOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!