View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
silyjillie
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
I would switch the food to the fish based (absolutely no chicken even in treats) for at least 2 months and see how the itching is. If you want to stick with Wellness, you can use the fish kind. If you want to switch brands, Natural Balance has a good allergy line.

If after a few days of switching he isn't getting better, you can ask the vet to consider giving a steroid injection to help his body get over the hump and still wait the two months on the new food... Sometimes Children's Benadryl works but sometimes it doesn't.

IF the food switch doesn't work after a few months, there might be something else going on. Itchy ears and paws would indicate food allergies but it wouldn't hurt to do things like skin scrapings to rule other things out. If the vet is confident that it is food allergies, you may not want to put money into other testing just yet...

What does he/she say about all of this?
I think I might try the formula. I was thinking about doing it and I'm glad that you and Wylie's Mom agree with trying it.

I love my vet. He's very smart and knows a lot about different subjects but, food is not one. When I was on Canidae he had never heard of it. They sell Science Diet and Royal Canine so I don't know really about food with him that much. I mentioned him itching and he looked for fleas and didn't see any. He also put the camera in his ear to get for mites and he said he was all good. I mentioned that I was gonna try a new formula and he said it was a good idea to switch and see if that helped and to keep him posted with how it works out.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!