View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #5
amandawash
Lovin' my R & R
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyesJ View Post
Be careful with switching his diet so suddenly. It can cause a case of the runs. You don't want your dog to dehydrate. Give him time. For his sake don't be impatient. Not sure where you got him from but he may be homesick. Try NutraCal. That usually works up their appetite.

One tip I always give people whose dogs choose not to eat when it's feeding time is that you do not cater to them (unless they are sick). Dogs will test you to see if you are a strong leader. If feeding time is at 7:00 a.m. and your dog refuses to eat, give him only 15 minutes time. If he doesn't not eat within that time take his plate away. Do not try again until his next feeding. This causes the dog to understand that he eat when you say. Remember you are the leader. But in this case, I think your dog may just be a bit scared and needs time to adjust.
Umm, actually he's not scared at all. He walked in like he owned the place. I of course gave him Nutrical upon getting him off the plane, and some more when I got home. I offered him his own food and he wouldn't eat it. A few hours later at dinner time, I put his food down and he still wouldn't touch it, but was interested in what Ranger was eating. I put some of Ranger's kibbles in and he picked them all out. I am extremely familiar with digestive upsets and had already given him pepto for the stress. He has had two happy meals of NB and has had three normal stools. Sure doesn't act stressed.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!