View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
Harley_chik
No Longer a Member

I didn't look at the site, but there are things that would keep me from buying from a breeder in general.

A health guarantee that excludes any major or costly genetic conditions. I've seen many that only cover "life threatening" conditions. Luxating patellas can be genetic and costly to fix, but aren't neccesarily "life threatening."

Any guarantee that only offers the option of giving back the puppy. To quote Judge Marilyn Millian, "Anyone with a heart will never give their puppy back." Unscrupulous breeders bet on this. Find a contract that offers some kind of money back guarantee.

Charging more for full registration or offering full registration at all. As I understand it, it's impossible to tell if an 8 or even 12 week old puppy is show/breeding quality. Breeding should be left to the "experts" anyway.

Charging more for "rare" colors. I can't think of a single breed where this is okay. The colors are either in standard or not. Colors that are not accepted in the show ring should be discounted if anything.

Only puppy pictures on the site, no adult/parent pics. All puppies tend to look the same and the best way to predict what the puppy will look like is seeing the parents. Also it makes me wonder if they have something to hide. Like a haggard looking momma dog that's spent her life in a wire cage. Most of the "good" breeder would rather brag about their pretty parent dogs and not their cute puppies, b/c producing a nice looking adult is more difficult.

I also tend to avoid websites with a religious theme. As far as I can tell it's usually a smoke screen for bad breeding practices. Talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words!
Harley_chik is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!