View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
amandawash
Lovin' my R & R
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Can you take her swimming at all? I think the more you exercise her (walks and swimming), the better it will be for her mobility and healing - and the weight will hopefully come off with increased, safe exercise.

What about Cosequin? I'm surprised the vet didn't recommend that as it's really the only joint supp. that has published studies to prove its efficacy? That's what I give my Wylie.

[amandawash - that one you rec. looks interesting too, has that one been studied, do you know?]
Cosequin is actually just a brand name supplement, comparable in quality to Platinum. There are only a few brands that actually have the guaranteed amounts of indgredients in them, otherwise it is a complete waste of money. Platinum is extremely researched, and has an animal nutritionist available to assit w/ customers and their veterinarians. The company started out with equine nutrition, and has since developed its products for the canine, feline, exotic and human variety. I know horses are different than dogs, but a quality product is a quality product, you know?

The other thing I would consider for the OP's dog is a monthly shot of Adequan, which is an injectable joint supplement (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan) and has been INCREDIBLY researched and proven. It is actually stimulates the synovial membrane to manufacture new synovial fluid to replace the thin, degraded fluid of joint disease, within two hours, and if given regularly, will allow the joint to repair itself and stay healthy.

"Adequan binds to damaged cartilage and boosts cartilage metabolism, facilitating repair processes. At the same time, it blocks the action of destructive enzymes that promote joint inflammation, break down the synovial fluid, and attack the cartilage. "

It is awesome stuff.. we have our golden and lab on it (along with the Platinum CJ) they are so active and it is best if used preventatively...

Sorry I could go on and on about this stuff..
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!