View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Hmmmm.....mine does prefer playing with us (tugging and fetching mostly), but she has always played on her own pretty well. She used to get a toy, run laps around the living room with it in her mouth, growling at it the whole time, and stopping every now and then to shake it! She also has very small mice (they're cat toys) that have a tail and very short "fur" but I can feel the hard plastic underneath, and they rattle. She loves to shake those and toss them in the air. (That's the only kind I suggest getting, because others she stole from my cats that didn't rattle, she could chew through and some sort of strange white powder got all over. The kind that rattle, though, don't do that. The ones I have I got from Petsmart in the cat section ages ago, but I think they still have them---I got some that were animal prints in one pkg. and some that were Barbie pink mice in another pkg.)

More often than not now, if we're busy, she just gets a toy and chews on it at our feet or in our lap. Again, she'd prefer we were playing with her, but she settles for playing right next to us. And, she barks and growls at me occasionally if she doesn't get her way! I tried totally ignoring her, making no sound at all and not even looking in her direction--that didn't work very well. I have heard that if you yell for them to stop, you are basically letting them know it's okay to "yell" and they keep on. So, what I do now when she gets sassy is to say "Shhhhh!" or "Hush!" pretty quietly. Sometimes, when she keeps on (this is usually the growling, not the barking) I say "Eh!" (whatever that noise is?!) Anyway, saying "Shhh" and "Hush" usually works after I've said it a few times. That's the exact same "psychology" teachers use on noisy children.....if you start speaking very quietly, they will almost always quiet down so they'll be able to hear what you are saying. I even sometimes whisper Bella's commands ("Sit" and "Stay")....she has incredible hearing, so there is no reason to yell! (Honestly, if she does something wrong, the volume of my "No Ma'am!"s and "Bad Dog!"s are really more for me than for her! )

Last edited by bellasmomok; 10-22-2008 at 10:59 AM.
bellasmomok is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!