View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Ponyup
YT 1000 Club Member

Default Logan has Ischemic Necrosis of Femoral Head

Logan was just diagnosed with this. My first vet thought it was hip dysplasia. After much research on hip dysplasia I decided that that diagnosis didn't make sense so I took Logan for a second opinion. The vet told me he has Ischemic Necrosis of Femoral Head (Legg-calves Perthes) disease. We don't have to do anything at this time, but we're supposed to watch him closely for signs he's in pain & muscle atropy in that leg. We don't want the muscles to get weak & then do it. My vet said there is a guy in Fort wayne that does the head replacement, but he recommends that I go to Michigan State & have the whole joint replaced.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these surgeries? I will probably do it either way, but I would like it to be something that would make him feel better forever. He's 3.5 years old & it just showed up in the last couple months. His x-ray in January showed no signs of it, but the densisity difference in the 2 hips is very apparent in the x-ray that was taken a week ago. So my vet feels it's rather aggressive.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!