Thread: Is this a myth?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
There are charts online that show mortality rate with these drugs.
Heartgard averages about 6 a year.
Interceptor 9 a year (but less reactions than Heartgard).
Sentinel I think is 6 a year.
Revolution 36 a year.

Either these charts aren't accurate or Revolution is 4-6 times more dangerous than the other ones. And then the heartworm protection from it is being questioned. I can't help but wonder why it is still on the market.

It is hard to know if Heartgard or Interceptor is better for Yorkies because different vets have different opinions but I'd really like to see the FDA's data on all of this (right from them so we know that somebody didn't just put a false chart online).

With Heartgard's smallest dose working for dogs 25 pounds and under, our dogs are getting about 4 times what they need a month. But with Interceptor the smallest dose is 2-10 pounds. It does look like a better dose for Yorkies but it isn't because the company uses five times more than they need to of the active ingredient so that they can say it controls intestinal parasites. There is a safe heart dose of Interceptor available in other countries, I believe, which would be the perfect dose... Not in the US though.
We use Interceptor too....because of the 2-10# range, and also because a vet here said that he had seen whipworms in dogs recently and Heartgaurd Plus doesn't prevent them.

I value your opinion highly, Crystal....you are soooo thorough in your research and so knowledgeable about our babies! I was just wondering....why are you opposed to the intestinal worm preventors (like what's in Interceptor, besides the obvious--so much more medicine and dosing for something the pup doesn't have)?? I probably need to research more, but the vet said whipworms were deadly, and that he'd seen several cases recently.

(Note: same vet also told me how "safe" Frontline spray was, saying that it says to wash your hands afterward, but it wasn't really necessary; that it had been originally marketed to children with head lice [now I'm thinking about the fact that it's NO LONGER used on children!!!], and then LICKED his finger after touching it just to prove how safe it was!!! And now I read about products like Frontline having the potential [including documented cases] of not just attacking the fleas' nervous system, but attacking the dog's as well....and can attack the human who administers it nervous system as well!! Just saying that to point out, I can't really trust everything a vet says!!)

Last edited by bellasmomok; 10-20-2008 at 09:20 AM.
bellasmomok is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!