Thread: Is this a myth?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 04:50 AM   #11
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
There are charts online that show mortality rate with these drugs.
Heartgard averages about 6 a year.
Interceptor 9 a year (but less reactions than Heartgard).
Sentinel I think is 6 a year.
Revolution 36 a year.

Either these charts aren't accurate or Revolution is 4-6 times more dangerous than the other ones. And then the heartworm protection from it is being questioned. I can't help but wonder why it is still on the market.

It is hard to know if Heartgard or Interceptor is better for Yorkies because different vets have different opinions but I'd really like to see the FDA's data on all of this (right from them so we know that somebody didn't just put a false chart online).

With Heartgard's smallest dose working for dogs 25 pounds and under, our dogs are getting about 4 times what they need a month. But with Interceptor the smallest dose is 2-10 pounds. It does look like a better dose for Yorkies but it isn't because the company uses five times more than they need to of the active ingredient so that they can say it controls intestinal parasites. There is a safe heart dose of Interceptor available in other countries, I believe, which would be the perfect dose... Not in the US though.
holy crap. throwing out the revolution right now. yikes.... what a mess.... what to use?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!