View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #12
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkieK9trainer View Post
PHYSICALLY IT IS BEST TO SPAY/NEUTER YOUR DOG AFTER 12 MONTHS OF AGE, IDEALLY AROUND 16-18 MONTHS OF AGE.

The reasons for this is so that the growth plates have had a chance to come closer together.

I have a link for all to read on the studies done regarding this, even by the American Veterinary Medical Association, but I'm in Kentucky attending a dog show atm and don't have the link handy on my laptop.

I'll try to get it posted up here so everyone can become better informed on more current veterinary medicine and it's practices.

The only real downside to waiting to spay your bitch until about 16-18 months is that she will likely go through one heat cycle if not two. That has NOTHING to do with the benefits of waiting, it has everything to do with allowing the body to mature before spaying, which will NOT happen once the dog is spayed. It slows the process prematurely and stunts it.
But, if you are not looking to breed anyway, does waiting to spay offer any health benefit? Understanding that development may be affected such as growth, will this outweigh the chances for mammary cancer? Just asking to be better informed, thanks!
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!