View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 03:05 AM   #7
ranedrops
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyacresmom View Post
I am so sorry that you are having to make this decision. I am pretty well versed in Ostio. With all my involvement in Greyhounds, they are considered a large breed and far to many get Ostio.

The decision is yours, and yours to live with. I am not sure that I would go with the amputation for three months. I have to look at the final outcome. Still a painful way to end. I have heard of many going with the amp. and chemo, and Darcey (friends) is celebrating one year anniversary of being cancer free.

Very hard decision to have to face. If the cancer is already advanced to where the vet is saying only 3 months, I think that I would have to just do the best that I can with the time we have left.

When the outcome is inevitable, you just have to make the best of the time you have left.

My heart and prayers are with you!! {hug}
We agree with you that the amputation alone is not the way to go. We are at the point of thought where we think either we do no treatment and care for her with pain meds & anti-inflammatories until she declines or we go all out for the amputation & chemotherapy.

Her xrays on her leg show the lower part of her humerous as destroyed and the upper part of humerous bone as being pushed out from the tumor growing from within. The vet said that by the time OS is even diagnosed - which is usually when your dog comes up lame - that it is at the point where it has destroyed the bone which is what causes the pain & which is the case with Belle.

There is a 10% chance of her surviving this after chemo and amputation.
Her chest xrays are clear right now but that could change overnight. The vet said a tumor could show as quick as tomorrow or maybe not for months.
We read that approx 90% of dogs by the time they are diagnosed have already had micro peices of the cancer spread to the lungs that just are not viewable on the xrays yet.

I've read so many stories of hope and heartache. There is no guarantee.

I feel that no matter what decision we make we will feel awful. If we leave her be and try to do pain control & comfort than we will wonder what if we did the surgery. If we decide to amputate & chemo and she has complications or makes it only a few months or her quality of life is not good than I will blame myself for putting her through all of that.

I wish someone could tell me what to do though I know it is our decision.
Hopefully after talking with the surgeon on Tuesday things will be clearer.

If anyone wants to answer this question I wouldn't mind the opinions, if not I competely understand:

What would you do if she was your dog?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!