View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
Gypsy & Me
lovin my girls
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
Forget the boiling water and disinfectants; they won't do much for removing odors. Vinegar, or baking soda are both neutralizers. You can use either to get rid of smells. Not both at the same time or you will have a little volcano on your hands. Which ever you have, place a good amount into the canister and fill with water letting it sit over night. This will rid the canister of the old smells, but if you are continuing to pick up new smells, I would suggest the carpet powders. Some of the powders work better than others. Some have neutralizers in them that will neutralize certain odors, and one specifically says neutralizer and it's meant for pet odors. I would really look into that one for the best results. The dryer sheet gives a nice fresh scent, but I don't think it will eliminate the bad odor and that's what you want to do. See this link: Carpet Fresh Products: Carpet Fresh Powder - Neutra Air for Pets. I think this is the brand I'm thinking about, but I know Target sells one brand that says it does this.
I've used a product that is the UK version, Shake & Vac, and I also regularly clean the carpet with a proper carpet cleaner and a pet stain and odor neutraliser shampoo. All the downstairs carpets are cleaned at least once a month and accidents are cleared straight away because I have a baby who has just started crawling. That's why I can't understand why the hoover is picking up this smell.

I didn't know about the vinegar though, I did the baking soda which I don't have, so I'll try that in the canister over night... I smiled at the idea of making a mini volcano!! LOL. Do I use the vinegar with boiling water? I sound like such an idiot not knowing this stuff but I've never had an issue with bad smells in my house and I still don't... just a stinky hoover.
Gypsy & Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!