View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy & Me View Post
I tried the "Shake & Vac", (carpet powder), and I ended up with a revolting smell of dog and oranges!

I didn't think of a dryer sheet or Febreeze... I guess both of them are worth a try. I'll wash the canister again with some strong smelling disinfectant, I have some Green Apple scented stuff that I use in my bathroom and it keeps the bathroom smelling like apples for a good 3 days. If I use that and then maybe add some more to some boiling water and leave it in the canister over night with the lid loosely on and hand wash the fliters and put them in too that might do something. Do you think? Then tomorrow dry it and put a dryer sheet in there and spray the fliters. If that doesn't work then I have NO idea!

Forget the boiling water and disinfectants; they won't do much for removing odors. Vinegar, or baking soda are both neutralizers. You can use either to get rid of smells. Not both at the same time or you will have a little volcano on your hands. Which ever you have, place a good amount into the canister and fill with water letting it sit over night. This will rid the canister of the old smells, but if you are continuing to pick up new smells, I would suggest the carpet powders. Some of the powders work better than others. Some have neutralizers in them that will neutralize certain odors, and one specifically says neutralizer and it's meant for pet odors. I would really look into that one for the best results. The dryer sheet gives a nice fresh scent, but I don't think it will eliminate the bad odor and that's what you want to do. See this link: Carpet Fresh Products: Carpet Fresh Powder - Neutra Air for Pets. I think this is the brand I'm thinking about, but I know Target sells one brand that says it does this.

Join today and remove this ad!