View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
kyancer
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Anyone else go through training torture??

So, maybe that's a little dramatic . But, I feel like I've been through a lot in the last year trying to find a trainer for my little guy. He barks and growls at everything that moves outside. Inside the house with me and my family he is fine. But, he gets very freaked out when we are outside and he sees other people, animals, etc that he doesn't know. At first I was a little naive and thought if I could just put him through a training program I would find the magic answer. I signed him up with a private trainer that a friend recommended. It was a little expensive, but I really wanted to help Sebastian get over his fear. Well, let's just say that she told me that the only way to "show him who's boss" is to put a prong/pinch collar on him! I was outta there so fast! And, I was pretty discouraged. It took me quite awhile to start looking for a new trainer because that experience left me pretty shaken. But, I talked to a trainer ay Petsmart and instantly liked her. She suggested that we try a group class and if it was too much for him to handle I could get a refund or we could opt to do private sessions. A few weeks ago we went for the group class. We were only there about 10 minutes. He was so stressed out he wouldn't stop barking. It made me sad. I just really want to be able to go through a class with him and have him be calm. It makes me sad that he's so antisocial when I know dogs are supposed to be social creatures. But, I am not giving up on him. We are going to do private sessions with this trainer. We start on the 26th. His barking when we are out is a little annoying and embarrassing, but honestly it's something I can live with. However, I really want him to be a happy dog, and can't imagine that the stress he endures is good for him. So, I really really hope this training helps him. Wish us luck!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!