View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
rayray08
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieMother View Post
It is ok you use the dog food after the thing you have been training is proofed and put on cue. Or if your working guarding of the food bowl.

Try working with a higher value treat for them as it makes them want to work harder to get it and then put it on random reinforcement. Which is after you get the say sit every time you ask for it. You then treat every second or third and mix up the treats you give them. So they never know when it is coming or what treat type it will be.
Oh and make sure sometimes it just a pat or snuggle.

Treats can be chopped carrots or steamed green beans or raspberries or apples.
Cheese, steamed chicken breast of ground beef.
Cheerios although I can not use them do to wheat allergies in my dog. As you said you are going to try.

Then do a taste for the dog test in one hand have one kind of treat and in the other hand a different treat kind. Rank for your dog which it loves the best.

For us it is Peanut butter and yogurt drops. I keep them for using when we are in a high level of stress or distraction so the pay cheque being offered comes up to the level of stress.

I also every now and then do a mixed bag of treats so that we never know what will get pulled to hand out.

JL
That's a good idea to use things like fruit and vegetables. I've used little bits of cheese but I've only given her a little bit and it seems to make her poop a little smelly/soft. I don't think I'll be giving her any more cheese.

I've also done the "random" treat. She sometimes expects a treat but she'll get a tummy rub or a hug instead. I don't want her gaining unhealthy pounds.

I have used training treats, small liver treats and I break those into four pieces but I still don't like giving her a bunch because they are so high in calories. I'm going to give the vegetables, yogurt drops, fruits and cheerios a try. I can't use peanut butter with her as the smell makes me sick to my stomach, but I'll try those other treats

Thank so much for your response. You've been really helpful
rayray08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!