View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
YorkieMother
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayray08 View Post
The first week that I got Mahina (at 8weeks) I started teaching her basic commands and some tricks.

She's twelve weeks now and she knows how to
Sit, Down, High Five, Roll over, Come, Go around (which means to go up the ramp to my bed).

A lot of things I've read says to start teaching at 12 weeks. Is teaching her early going to cause problems later on, or is it better to start early.
She learns pretty quickly and always surprises me.
I hope I havn't been doing anything wrong with teaching her at an early age.

No that is not correct as long as you keep it light and fun take time once and a while to just play you can start them as soon as they can see.... and hear.
The recomendation coming in on new studies is that breeders start sound acceptance as soon as the ears of a puppy can hear and other skills as soon as they can see... early learning helps wire the brain for learning all ones life and the wiring should be laid early.

I started my last puppy at 7 weeks. non yorkie..
And I tend to recomend that you start as soon as they get in the door at home of course after giving time to settle in. Even then I am working soical skills.

With clicker you can start sooner then yank, correct and yell at as you can do it hands off so no strain on little necks and bones.

With clicker they tend no not burn out as fast if at all.

JL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!