View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
Hamoth
YT Addict

I have been trying this, especially the "glance away, blink, and yawn." methods. This works WONDERS for calming Chewy down. Today, we introduced the clicker. He was kinda scared of it, and thought the click was a reprimand. He avoided the treats that came with the click (EVEN STEAK!). So I clicked, gave a treat and when he winced, I yawned, looked around and blinked as if dissinterested, and he went for the treat. After a few times with this, he wasn't scared of the clicker, and started really trying to see what made me click it!

Also, when we went for pee-breaks, he just sat in the grass and was soaking up the sun. I let him do this while I smoke. When it's time to go, sometimes he won't budge. This time: "Chewy, Come!" (nada).

Look around, blink, yawn, glance back. He's looking at me allright.
I turn my back to him (this is not a threat, see?). "Hey Chewey!" I repeat in my happiest voice.

I'll be darned. He stands up and shakes off (releasing stress). And he comes without me ever having had to repeat myself.

"Good come!" I exclaim as he comes towards me. I reinforce the positive by chasing him around the house once we are inside.

It's worked all day.
Hamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!