View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
YorkieMother
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggbond View Post
This is another problem our dog Tico has. He like to bark his face off. He barks if we leave none stop, and he barks at sounds. He barks when people come over. I don't mind him barking sometimes, but not to the extent so it sound like some maniac screaming. Should we get him a bark collar?
I am not one to use threats or fear to train a dog as it can make a dog scared and wreak a bond.
Working with a dog takes time and respect for its needs.
Dogs bark to them it not a problem to us you bet it is.

I work on give him a job.... make sure he gets a ton of time to run and play .. make him tired.
Job so a dog can not bark well or at all laying down.. teach him down.
Once down and quiet treat the quiet not the down.
Put the quiet on a word cue once he lays down and remains quiet for a few seconds.

Yelling no bark at him a wagging a finger just makes them think that their Mother has joined in the barking and they got it right so shh from you and a calm down and reward that and the quiet.

Other thing to so is he got to take a breath i in that breath mark it with a yes or a click and toss a treat. keep doing it in the breath between barks... then stretch the breath out by not clicking or saying yes for a few seconds and see if he can hold himself from barking.
What you want in the end is for him to learn that when he feels the need to bark if he lays down and shhs you will offer him love.

You want him to learn self control not fear induced behavior.

You want to teach him what you want rather then what you do not want so he has a clue and can adjust to that.

As for the bark collar .. I have not problem in the use of a sound one as long as it is used only as a bandage to help in training not the end of it.

I see that all to often and then the dog learns to bark over it and inflict hurt to its ears and mine by having it go off.
Also on the wrong dog things like pop cans with coins and sound bark collars and water sprayed at them will cause a dog to flinch and be fearful. Alway watch for fear and stop any form of training at the sight of it.
Make the adjustments needed in the training that caused the fear response and try again.

JL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!