View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellle View Post
The dry food says a half a cup a dry food a day,
The can food says 2 cans per two lbs for puppies.

I didn't know how much to judge since he only gets 1 half a can per day and roughly a cup of dry... I think he might just have hungrier days than others since he didn't eat nearly as much yesterday as he was the days before.

I must take a video of him playing so everyone can see how crazy he is!
Love to see that video, the recommended amount on the bag is a guideline, and there will be many individual differences. Some dogs can't eat near the recommended amount, while others will eat twice the amount. How active the dog is, and it's own individual metabolism makes such a difference in the amount of food a dog needs. Like you say, yesterday, he didn't eat very much, and it sounds like you are doing what best, giving the food when he's hungry. Again don't worry about over-feeding until at least 6 months.

By the way, since the can says, 2 cans per day per 2 pounds that would be the same as 1 can per 1 pound. Since you are only giving 1/2 can that would only take care of 1/2 of a pound, and since he's 5 pounds, most of his calories should come from the dry. If you just supply a puppy with healthy food they will not overeat, unless there is an underlying medical condition.

Join today and remove this ad!