View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Suzy
2 Pups=Double Trouble!
Donating Member

Default Emma just got home from the Emergency Vet!

We were watching the debate, and I gave each of the furgirls a marrow bone (they were frozen, I thawed them in the fridge overnight). I have given these many times before, and never had a problem. Emma ran off with hers behind the lounge chair in our living room, as usual. About 15 minutes later she came out with her head hanging and a very strange look on her face. She jumped up on the couch, and we realized something was wrong and she was shaking. Also, Milli went back there to "steal" Emma's bone and she didn't even care-very odd for her.

All of the sudden she PUKES all over my lap-all the meat and fat off the bone, luckily it was on a blanket. I figured oh well, at least she feels better and the blanket is easily washed. I get up to get a paper towel, and she PUKES again all over DH's lap-we kind of giggle, OMG is this preparing us for parenthood? But then she keeps throwing up, at least 10 more times, in numerous spots all over the floor, and it's getting violent. What was coming up was mucusy and white/foamy at this point, and she was having a hard time getting it up because it was thick and sticky. Her whole body was stiff and her back legs were literally lifting off the ground as she was heaving It was so scary. Her eyes glazed over and she looked terrified.

My husband and I decide to take her to the vet-she runs to her potty pad at that moment and has a diarrhea blow out right there. Then back to him, and pukes again. Then we try to run upstairs to get our keys/shoes and she tries to follow, more diarrhea right there on the stairs. It was so awful. I throw some clean clothes down to my husband, and I put Milli (who is fine and just looked very concerned through all of this) into our room. We wrap Emma in her blanket and take off to the E-vet.

Got there-and she seems a bit better. She hates the car so I kind of wonder if that almost took her mind off being sick. The vet tech comes in-Emma's BP, temp, and vitals all look normal. The vet came in and checked her over, and said besides her tummy feeling a little tight, and her weight being low (down to 6.2-my poor baby) she looked normally healthy. They said the tight tummy and the low weight was probably just from all that throwing up.

The vet got called away just as she was giving us her recommendations (OMG horrible story-a dog came in that was attacked by another dog, and it sounded absolutely awful from what we could hear ). We sat there for about 15 minutes, and looked over the recommendations which were xrays and bloodwork. The vet came back in-said the xrays were to make sure nothing was caught in Emma's tummy-which we knew it wasn't, because we have the bone she was chewing, and she is watched closely at hom, and the bloodwork was to rule out other kinds of illness. We discussed it with the vet, and opted not to do either-Emma's sickness came on so quickly, and went away quickly, so we all believe that she simply either had some dinner that didn't agree with her tummy and/or the fact that she ate all that meat/fat off the bone so quickly made her sick.

Milli didn't snarf hers up as quickly, and hers wasn't as meaty, and she is fine. She is usually the one with the weak tummy, while Emma's is made of steel! So we brought our little Honeybear home with vet's instructions to take away all water and food for tonight, and then try it again in the AM and see how she does. She has not thrown up or had diarrhea again since we left for the vet at 8:45. She's snuggling up with my husband now-and she desparately needs a bath!!

OHHHHH what a scary experience, but I am so glad she is ok!!! Just had to vent/share it all with you...I am hoping that she gets whatever it is out of her system and is back to normal tomorrow.

Last edited by Suzy; 10-07-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!