View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
xmasbaby75
YT Graphic Artist
Donating Member

First off - Welcome to YT! You've come to the right place! I just had my first litter last October (on Halloween) so I know all about the reading/researching/panicking -- Here is something that I learned - the hard way...

Please have your girl tested multiple times for her calcium levels. (before & after whelping) My vet did not suggest this, and we almost lost my Gellica 2 weeks after giving birth to eclampsia. We had to rush her to the ER, and thankfully, she was okay but we had to hand feed the babies after that. It's not an easy task, but luckily we were prepared. We had read about this, and we gave her cottage cheese, and other calcium treats, but it just wasn't enough. You can never be too prepared!! Good luck to you!! Can't wait to see pictures of the babies!

Also, you should wait until day 50-55 for x-rays. Our vet told us that 6 weeks was far enough along, but the x-ray came back and he saw nothing. We were devestated and thought she was having a fake pregnancy, turns out -- he was wrong!! So, now we know!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!