View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkichonBella View Post
The FDA actually warns that it has received reports of adverse reactions in dogs receiving the drug Comfortis® (spinosad) concurrently with high, extra-label doses of the drug ivermectin. The clinical signs of these adverse reactions are consistent with ivermectin toxicity.
My concerns were with my Vet not knowing about these warnings since Bella was given a single dose of Ivermectin. Ivermectin is used to treat mites or mange. The Vet quoted that the small amount of Ivermectin in Heartguard should not be a problem while using Comfortis. I'm not sure though I would want to chance it?
My wonderful vet up in New York said he never prescribed anything when it first came out on the market. He always waited about a year to see if there were any adverse effects.

I personally wouldn't chance it. There are other choices in both heartworm prevention and flea control. Interceptor does not contain ivermectin, for instance. I also prefer to use a topical flea preventative, not one that is processed through the liver.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!