View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 04:56 AM   #15
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

I work in the OR everyday as a OR tech~you know the one that sets the room, passes the instruments, works along side the doctor while he is doing surgery.

I'll explain this as simply as possible~there are many factors that go into giving someone anesthesia for a surgery and also many different types of drugs that do different things during surgery.

Depending on the type of surgery you are having, that is how they decided what type they are going to give you. So you cannot compare a c-section to a gallbladder to a T&A. Also your health is assessed by the anesthesiologst and that has a HUGE part to plan in how deep they will put you under. Also you there are different levels of sedation. They are not going to put you to sleep as deeply for a pin removal as they would when you have your gallbladder removed. A c section is usually done with an epidural so you are awake but groggy. T & A you are not going to be a sleep very deeply because it only takes a few minute~literally to remove your tonsills and adnoids.

If you are a drinker or recreational drug user this also plays a HUGE part in how you react to being put under. So when they ask you those questions about drinking and drugs (pot, coke, others) you had better be very honest in what you tell them. The take all of this in to account when they give you the drugs to put you to sleep.

As for it happening a lot~NOT TRUE! It will happen occasionally but people are NOT waking up during surgery on a regular basis. Paralyzing drugs are not used during every surgery and cannot be used on many different cases. This is also dependant upon the type of surgery you are having.

Colonoscopy is done strictly with Versiad (sp?) which makes you forget and is also used in regular surgery. We like to call it happy juice. They give it to you and you just don't give cr@@@p and also don't remember.

When you are asked if you ate or drank in the past 12 hours you had better be VERY HONEST about that as well. If you are have eaten and think they will never know~you are wrong! You could easily asperate and never wake up~~DEAD. No water, gum, coffee, toast NOTHING!

Finally, I have had 6 MAJOR surgeries and NEVER woke up during any. I went to sleep and woke up in recovery. No need for a massive panic!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!