View Single Post
Old 09-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
yorkiegold
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamoth
Hmm..Odd..I took the petsmart class (2 of them) and they never mentioned this! I wish they had, there's lots of great stuff in here.

Well in particular, I'm worried about the following:

Test 10: Supervised separation
Oy vey! Chewy is a bit of a drama queen when we are seperated, he's always had a lot of separation anxiety, but we've calmed it down...still I don't know if he would go 3 minutes without whining. I'm trying to figure out how to train for this!

Test 8: Reaction to another dog
If he ever met a polite dog himself, I could test this. I tried it with his buddies, but THEY wouldn't calm down enough...

Test 2: Sitting politely for petting
He rarely lets strangers touch him...He often ducks away from any approaching hands. Perhaps my regiment of dominance training (and petting during reward) will get rid of that though...

Still, I have no idea how to train for the above items...
Good luck! Let's see who can get CGC, AKC Basic & Utillity first!
We went to the Petsmart class, basic and then advanced about a year or two ago. They had some information about the CGC test in the printed booklet they handed out and our graduation class was a mock-up of the test. Maybe they stopped doing it that way.

I'm lucky that my little man will do almost anything once he understands there's a treat at the end of it. But in general I try to break everything down to it's smallest component and practice that until it's automatic and then advance.

You touch him and treat him. When he thinks that's a fun game, then someone else he trusts, then someone he's only met a few times and then a stranger. Sometimes the supply of friendly strangers can be slim - that's why we went to the Petsmart class. Ditto with the strange dog. There was a built-in supply at Petsmart.

Same with the separation. A little bit then a little bit then a little bit more. You leave him for a few seconds in a safe place - treat and praise then a few more seconds then a newer place.

Okay good buddy - I'll take the challenge for CGC. My boy is 2.5 years. How old's yours?

CJ
yorkiegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!