View Single Post
Old 09-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
Hamoth
YT Addict

It's going to take time, but you need to use treats to build up behavior, then treat-wean them after that.

How much practice have you done with "stay" (using treats and formal training), per day?

For example, I get out the treat bag and run Chewy through "stay" for five minutes, twice a day. Every week I find myself a littel farther away from him, not looking at him, and sometimes testing him by aping about. He's planted though...firm training and repition will get you results.

Take himn to a quiet room. Put him in a sit. Hold your hand in front of his face (like a stop-gesture) and say "STAY." Then give him 1 treat. Visibly hold the second treat in hand. Take two steps back, maintaining eye contact. If he moves say "Uh-uh...No sir!" In a sing-song way that you would to a child. Then repeat, sit, STAY (with hand), and two steps back. If you see his ears perk up and it looks like he's going to stand, repeat "Stay...." After three seconds or whatever interval you can drag it out to, say "Okay!" and hold the treat out for your pup.

If you can, take him to a beginning obedience class where an instructor can show you personally how this is done. Obedience is for more than the dog, it's for you! It teaches YOU to be a trainer, and that's worth a million bucks when you have a stubborn little Yorkie to deal with!
Hamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!