View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
143julz
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default Her Update...

Took her a new Dr on Mon (9/6) for a second opinion. i was nervous b/c all her 14 yrs she has always seen the same one.
Giving him her background, copies of her lab work from 3 wks ago, him taking another blood sample, this is what we discovered. Her BUN was 99 creatine 3.2---Since she had a bout w/ pancreatitis in 12/06 he felt strongly that' s what we were dealing w/ now. He said her teeth were the cause of her white blood cells to be over 20, 000..
Since she only has one kidney she hasn't has her teeth cleaned in years.....so our options were

1-do nothing she would live another 2-3 weeks or
2-make a heartwrenching decision and a crap shoot to go forward and put her under, get her teeth taken care of. this would allow her a chance at recovery and known, peace of mind we have tried all we can do.

We went with 2!!!! left her there since Monday, yesterday she went under, came out great was sitting up in her cage last night and this afternoon they run her blood, if BUN and creatine levels low she comes home in time for Survivor tonight at 8 p.m.

I cried from Monday afternoon until i got the call yesterday that it was over and she was awake...she is not a 100% cleared. She still has kidney issues, HYPOthyroid, anemia and a bout of pancreatitis. Hopefully with yesterday's procedure the bacteria & toxins will be gone and hopefully that was the cause of everything.

Lesson folks.....dental for dogs is VERY VERY important. I have been lead to believe that since she had one kidney she could never be put under, WRONG! Oh and the YORKIE breed comes in second for most susceptible breed for pancreatitis, Schnauzers are first.
If your dog will not eat, walks hunched, vomits allot of yellow bile, lethargic and depressed, those are some signs, get them to the vet, untreated they can die from it, it's something they will be prone to get again in their life once present.
143julz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!