View Single Post
Old 09-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
Hamoth
YT Addict

Default Potty Training Methods

I thought it might be a good idea for us to tackle the most frequent issue with training Yorkies (housebreaking). To do this, I thought it might be nice to get everyone who has gotten their potty training perfected to share their methods here for others to read.

I'm kinda curious to see what methods have worked, and which haven't, and to consider trends that might help influence new puppy owners to make informed decisions about their methods.

I'll begin with the way Chewy was potty trained. I'll allow that it might have been easier for me because Chewy is about three times as large as your average Yorkie...but it worked when he was smaller also, so perhaps this isn't so much of a factor. We had this working semi-reliably in weeks, and it was solidly trained in about three months. No accidents in god-knows-how-long.

I've lifted this summary from an older thread so that some of the potty training people here today might read it.

Type: Outdoor On-Command Method (learned from "Puppies for Dummies")

Allowances: My Yorkie is big, that might have helped. He is not crate trained, but somone has always been at home to watch him. Stress-poo was not considered an accident but a result of his seperation anxiety. We ignored that and it slowly went away on its own, seperate from his other training. He is walked once or twice a day.

Result: 100% accident free for many months, goes on command.

--------------------------------
Potty training went VERY smoothly. He had the basics in a week or so, and had it down by 7 months age. We NEVER scolded him for going inside, we ALWAYS cleaned up the messes using a commercial (or vetterinary grade) pet-odor remover, being careful to leave no trace. We also followed the directions for out-door potty training that were listed in the "puppies for dummies" book. We went by the letter and it worked really well for our Yorkie, you might give it a try...Here's a summary of the method:

First recognize the signs, and keep a mental timer, always wonder "hmmm, does Chewy need to go?"

If I saw him walking in circles, suddenly aport playing, sniff the ground as if tracking something but not going a really specific direction, and walking "that walk", then I knew. When I wasn't sure, I took him out anyway.

Have a phrase for regular out-door visits for that purpose. We chose "Pee-break!". Get excited, it's FUN to go on a pee break! Yay!

We always make him sit on the mat in front of the door (using a treat until he gets used to the ritual) while we clip to his harness. This gets him in obedience mode. I notice he's different when in "working mode" than when in "love me" mode, or "play" mode. Then, we use the short leash and bruskly walked him to a specific out door location that we used every time. If he sees rain or feels like being a pain, he'll try to stop and make me drag him. To avoid this I pull the leash to my hip, and give it almost no slack and pull UP. This leaves him almost suspended by the leash and harness, but not really and not painfully. I'm sure msot of you know all this, but just for the new yorkie owners DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING WITH A COLLAR ON A YORKIE. NEVER tug a yorkie by the neck, you migh kill your dog.

Anyway, the tight leash pull-up should make him scramble his feet to keep up with you, kinda air-walking and mostly supported by back paws. Don't overdo this, but I found it a critical part of the process. A Yorkie will likely see rain or smell something odd or just feel like going inside where it's warm...gotta be firm. Usually the tight and up leash trick gets him back to obeying and walking along with me. In 20 seconds, I have brought him to his place.

At this point, be all-business, completely serious.
"Chewy, watch me" To get hte eye contact...
"Go Potty!" Happy voice.

Look away from him and wait.

Don't make eye-contact until he begins. Don't let him pull me elsewhere or anything. The leash is fixed to my hip (by my thumb) like a training lead. He's not going anywhere and not getting one ounce of attention until he does what I need him to do. Since he's a puppy, and he hasn't gone in a while or didn't last time I took him out, ect, I KNOW he's got to go. So I wait.

Once he "assumes the position" I begin prasing:
"Goooood Potty Chewy, Good boy! Good potty!"

When finished I give him a treat and let him lead me about the yard if he wants, or go back inside at a leisurely pace. His understanding becomes "business first" and fun thereafter.

Chewy took to this system VERY quickly. In the total time I've had him (~3 months) there have been something near 30 total accidents. 1 in the last 30 days.
-----------------------

Those of you with 100% potty trained Yorkies should also contribute to sharing your methods here!
Hamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!