View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
sammy08
Yorkie Yakker

Default Wylie's Mom Giardia can easily reinfect your pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Giardia can easily reinfect your pup if you haven't cleaned everywhere he has been with bleach water/disinfectant. Also, following giardia - mushy poos are not that uncommon for awhile, especially in puppies. Giardia can actually begin to digest the small intestine in young puppies, causing damage. Hopefully, this will not/has not happened to your baby. It did to my Marcel - and it took months to figure out and then deal with when he was a pup.

Do you have him on a quality diet? THE most important things you can do for him now is 1) prevent reinfection, 2) get him on the best possible diet you're willing to do, 3) get him on probiotics immediately, to support the intestine. You also may need to do other things if the mushy poos don't get better and/or if he becomes reinfected and the small intestines go through another infection, but I (and others) can help.

You REALLY need to clean the environment though - bc anywhere the pup has been, he has shedded giardia "cysts", which can reinfect him.
I called the vet, and he will be starting another round of med's, followed by a stool sample, as far a a quality diet, he is on wellness the vet told me that was one of the best. I clean my home every day including disinfecting w/bleach so I am making sure nothing is contaminated. I highly doubt he is picking it up that way. the vet told me in some dogs it can take little longer, so hopefully the round will knock it out for good!
sammy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!