View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
red98vett
Yorkie Kisses are the Best!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
When dogs have giardia, they are constantly shedding "cysts" all over their environment - so while you're treating them, you should try to keep them in a smaller area if possible. AND, you need to clean everywhere they've been (as much as possible) with bleach water/disinfectant to kill the cysts - otherwise, they will be reinfected as soon as they are well. Reinfection happens VERY easily, so it's very important to clean them and clean their areas. I have never heard of any injection for Giardia. There is a vaccine for it, but I would NOT recommend it - and it would NOT work now since your pups already have it anyway.

Also, I want to warn you that since they are puppies, their intestines may have some short-term issues with digestion (soft, grainy, mucousy stools) bc the giardia can actually damage the intestines in puppies - and then they're diagnosed (incorrectly) w/ ibs/ibd. So, after the giardia is gone - if they are still having stool issues months later, please get in touch.
Wylie's Mom.....Will you be my vet ?

Great wording ...

shionpower - - you got some really good advise.... good luck getting them better.
red98vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!