View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 10:45 AM   #13
Kathy
Yorkie Yakker

Default "Little one" training

Hi,
Your story is so cute. Ironically, it sounds like I fell into doing what you did last night. FiFi slept with my daughter until 12ish last night. I heard a little cry. It startled me and I ran into her room. I found her standing at the end of the bed waiting for someone to pick her up. I immediately took her outside (I thought for a minute to use pad but quickly went for the outside). She went potty and then I brought her upstairs and put her into her crate (which I moved to my room). She whined a little but then went to sleep. At 3 am my son came in to my room and this immediately woke her up. I grabbed her out of the crate and took her outside (of course, this also woke up our other pup). Both puppies went potty and then back in we went. I put the bigon into her crate (downstairs next to son's room) and put her back into her crate. She wasn't happy. She cried. I wasn't sure if she had to move her bowels so I decided then to take her out and put her onto a pad. I had put the pads into an unused shower stall (in the bedroom). She didn't like that (because I closed the door) so that she would not come out. That wasn't going to work. Then I did the cardinal sin. I put her back into her crate, she cried and out she went. I let her sleep with us. She stirred around 5:30am. She was very figitityso...out we went again. She went potty outside but still no bowel movement. I decided that I needed another hour of sleep so I put her into a pen set up (near back door) with her food and water. I went back to sleep. When we came down an hour later she haad eatten a little and pooped on the pads. Outside we all went again. Again she went. All played and then it was time for work so.back into the pen. Do you still use your crate at all? Or, do you just put him into the pen when you can not keep an eye on her? Is your little one on one or two floors? And, what kind of food do you use? When and how much do you feed her? I have been told all kinds of thing. When did he stop needing to go out in the middle of the night? Was that before or after yo let him sleep with you all night? While he was still using the crate for bedtime? Thanks for your response. This site is really a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
My pup was that small when I brought him home at 12 weeks. He could not hold it all night. He also pooped in the middle of the night. The first thing I did was change his food. I'm not sure this is true, but they say the higher the quality of food the less poopage they have. I also took him out every night at 2am. I did this when I had him in the crate. I put him the crate at 10pm and took him out at 2am and again 6am. He now sleeps with me and has slept through the the night since. I drove myself crazy with wondering whether to take him outside or use the pads. I decided on outside because I think it was more natural to him. BUT I'm here all day at the house so that makes it easier. I put him in a gated area whenever we go out. He's still not completely housebroken. He had a pee accident yesterday and 2 the day before. My problem now is figuring out a way to get him to alert me to go outside.

Try feeding him on a set schedule then you may be able to time his poops.

I only kept in a crate at night for 2 wks (until he was 14 wks old). He started sleeping in my bed at 16wks and slept through the night. I think I made a mistake doing this because I can't get any sleep at night because he lays on my head.
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!