View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkieforme View Post
Thanks for your help and comments.

I did research this online and I found that some dogs have epiltic siezures of this form and if they if this happens once a month or less...then medication is not warranted. I will keep my eye on her and if this happens again..I will take her to the vet right away. Today she has been perfectly normal..playing and eating as usual...
How old is Kiki? Seizures in a puppy less than a year old are usually a symptom of an underlying condition, not epilepsy itself. If she is young, she needs to be tested for a liver shunt and a thyroid imbalance.

Actually, monthly seizures would need medication. A phenomenon called "kindling" occurs each time someone has a seizure. The brain actually rewires itself to make a path so the next seizure is easier. This pattern continues and can lead to cluster seizures (several seizures in one day) which is very dangerous. If a dog only has one or two seizures a year, no medication is usually recommended.

This website has been my bible ever since Lady was diagnosed with epilepsy nine years ago:

Canine epilepsy and diseases that cause seizures in dogs
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!