View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 AM   #13
Desiree1027
Senior Yorkie Talker

Okay, I only know what I've been told and it came from two separate vets.

My first experience: I used ADVANTIX - it is the flea and tick treatment from Bayer (maker of Advantage too). I have a dog that just happened to be allergic to the tick prevention chemical in it.

I was told to switch to Advantage because it didn't have the tick preventor in it, it's just for fleas. I chose this product because my girl didn't really go outside so I wasn't as concerned about ticks then.

It was explained to me that the fleas/ticks only have to come in contact with the dog treated by Advantage or Advantix, they don't have to be bitten. Unlike Frontline, where they have to be actually bitten to die .

It was my belief that if a tick was found on my dog and was biting, I would be encouraged to treat for lyme anyway, or at least I think I would want to.

So what good would it be to use Frontline?

I felt it was better to kill fleas before they came inside since if they jumped on Dezi, they would be affected immediately.

Now, to make things more complicated, I have another puppy that is very active and I think I'd better reconsider the tick subject since it has gotten worse in the last 6 years. And I have a new vet as well. They don't even carry Advantage, since it doesn't have tick prevention.

They are recommending Frontline since it controls both fleas and ticks. Although it has a different chemical that doesn't have the incidence of allergic reactions. Since I don't know anyone who used it, I am in the same predicament since I don't know what to do now.

Fall temperatures are upon us in the northeast which is when the fleas start to be uncontrollable. So I need to decide!

I chose to not use Frontline so now I feel like I would be making a choice base on the fact that nothing else has been recommended.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!