View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

I am so sorry that you are frustrated with your rescues. Many rescued dogs are hard to train, you do not know their history, you did not get them from a puppy and they most likely have many bad habits that need to be redirected.

I am very sorry that you lost your son and FIL. My heart is breaking for you. Although it made your transition with you new dogs more difficult you should not feel that this has caused your problems. IMO it sounds like these 2 have no clue as to what you are expecting from them as part of the family.

First you need to get them under your control. If they are chewing and peeing in the house you need to keep their leash on and at your side at all times when not contained. An xpen, crate or dog proofed room should be their area that they can go into when you cannot supervise them.

Just go back to basics and what I mean by this is to be very consistent in what YOU EXPECT FROM THEM. This is not their fault that they do not understand what is expected for them. Yes, you know and I know that good dog make potty OUTSIDE but they have not been taught what your expectations of them are. All they know is what they have done all along and that is to go whenever and wherever they want. Yorkies are very smart and will learn, but it will take lots of hard work and patience on your part. Don't give up on them just yet!

Put their leashes on them so you have control and do not let them out of your sit even for a split second They cannot have free rein until they no longer have accidents. This take a HUGE amount of perseverance and determination on your part.

If they are romping and playing in the yard you need to take them out on their leash and not allow them to get distracted from what they are suppose to be doing. If you take them out for potty and they are playing and romping and not doing what they need to do, immediately bring them back into the house and put them back into their "crate" for 30 minutes of so. Take them back outside again and say "go potty". If they potty give them a treat IMMEDIATELY and PRAISE, do not wait until you get in the house but right outside after they go and praise, praise, praise! If they do potty then they can have a 30 minute period of free play and then back into the crate for about 2 hours. You need to keep this system of training up until they are not having any accidents in the house.

Treats and praise will get you very far! Even if they potty you still need to bring them back into the house after, they associate going out, making potty and then praise and treats.

I wish you a luck with your 2 little guys. Rescues are always difficult but with a lot of work you should be able to get your issues under control.

Last edited by megansmomma; 09-16-2008 at 10:08 PM.
megansmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!