View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
Kathy
Yorkie Yakker

Default good advice

Hi Aimee, Thanks for your feedback. I would love to see her sleep through the night. I think if she slept through the night than I would just take her downstairs and outside with my already trained bigon pup. Wow, as I was typing this I heard a little cry. It was her standing at the bottom of my daughter's bed. I scooped her up and quickly debated to take her outside or to wee wee pad (which I am debating where to put it). Since I have not quite decided where to put the pad upstairs I quicly ran her outside where she went. ALthough, I know that still to come is a bowel movement since she has not down one yet today and has consistently been doing this at night since she arrived here. Any suggestions? Does an unused shower stall sound good for wee wee pads? WOuld she find that? Or, should it be really visible on the floor. The bathroom is right near where the crate will be. Question: What kind of small crate are you referring to? How can you tell if the midnight cry is pick me up or I need to go potty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee
Absolutely - if you ever have anything you are looking for and no one is around, a helpful feature is the "search" option (http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/search.php)

As far as the crate, I use a small one for night time, I have it placed on the floor on my side of the bed, it has a see-through top so she can look up and see me during the night. When she wakes me up in the morning, I take her directly to he wee-wee pad, which I keep in the laundry room. (my laundry room has tiles, most of the rest of my house is carpeted) - if she doesn't go, I hold her or put her back in her crate then take her to the wee wee pad again.

Tia is still having a lot of accidents, so I may not be the best person to give you advice, but I was told by my vet and a breeder friend that consistancy is the best thing. Get them on a schedule. Tia and I are getting there, we are learning together. The thing about these guys is you can't "mess up" too badly -- if you realize you are using a method that just isn't working, you can change and train them another way. I have an older dog, Sandy and went to training classes with her and was able to teach her a lot.

I know what you mean about it being like having another kid - that's exactly how I look at it. My children didn't come out able to use the potty and it will really take some time to get these guys to do it too. My son is 5, daughter 4 on Friday, so it really feels like I have four children now, which I love. The good news is if you train them well now, you will be teaching them habits that should last a lifetime

I'm sorry I can't be of more help! But there are so many people here with SO much great advice, I'm sure you'll have a "plan of action" in no time at all!
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!