View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
emilyann
Lovin' My LilBug!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
The problem is, I have no idea where to start and am loaded with questions.

Are there any good threads about homecooking?
Not many. There are lots of threads on the subject but most of them aren't really scientifically based and may contain misinformation (my opinion only).

Any specific people who do it and can help to get me going?
Yes, Yorkiedaze, Suzi, Marcerella02, Yorkieluv to name a few. I don't know who is willing to help though. I also homecook and am willing to help but with that said, it probably won't do you any good because supplementation is very comfusing to me and I always recommend talking to a nutritionist. In my opinion, it is the safer way to go.

How much is it going to usually cost?
Maybe $300 to $400 a year but I don't know exactly. The more you get into it (like buying all organic ingredients) the more it will be.

Am I going to need to give supplements along with the food I cook?
Yes, supplementation is not an option. It is a necessity.

Is it just everyday grocery foods or do you have to buy certain types?
You can get all the food at the grocery store but it is just prepared differently (no spices for example).

How will she do with transferring from eating dry kibbles all her life to eating food I cook for her? (I'm worried she'll scarf the food down and puke it up)
Ellie has eaten homecooked for over a year and still eats too fast. When I don't want her to, I feed her one bite at a time. She doesn't throw up after eating fast though.

Will it affect her teeth? Will I need to do anything different teeth-wise since it won't be dry food?
Some say yes, some say no. Tooth protocol shouldn't have to change when switching from kibble to soft because the teeth should already be being brushed often...

Will homecooking help her allergies or am I just fighting a losing battle?
It depends what kind of allergies. If they are related to food, you just don't give those foods or do an elimination diet. So yes, it will help food related.

Will it cause her to have diarrhea or will her poo hopefully still be solid?
It could when you switch initially but should go back to normal.
I had a feeling you were going to reply to my thread because I think I've seen several places on here where you reply about homecooking! I'm so glad you did, your answers were very helpful.

So if I take this route, would you suggest me trying to find a nutritionist and talking to them?

Thanks girl!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!