View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
jeanief
YT Addict

Health Issues In Toy Dogs

Atlantoaxial Subluxation
(hypoplasia of the dens)
by Leanne Bertani
This is not a common disorder, but when it does occur, it can be a very difficult experience for the dog, owner and breeder.

Definition
Atlantoaxial Subluxation is an instability of the first and second vertebrae in the neck. It takes its name from the proper name of the first cervical vertebrae (the atlas) and the second vertebrae (the axis). The lack of stability causes compression of the spinal cord that results in pain or paralysis.

Cause
This condition can be caused by trauma in any dog, but is more often seen as either a congenital or developmental malformation in small breeds
. It has even been called "unavoidable" in small breeds by some veterinary authors. Other authors believe it is most likely related to a genetic vascular insufficiency that allows at least part of the dens to be reabsorbed.

Here are some articles about genetic vs congenital

With this info would I ever breed the same parents again? NEVER !
I wouldn't want to take a chance. It sounds to me that 1 pup could have just had a problem while developing and it might never happen again. Genetics is a tricky thing and it seems like you can never find a 100% fact about congenital vs genetic and whether parents are the problem or not when it comes to congenital defects. I say better safe that sorry. I'm not going to comment about the breeder, just thought I would give you some info I found on the net.
jeanief is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!