Thread: puppy monster
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #12
KathyK09
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Good advice!

Hello!

This is all awesome advice and it really works! We had the exact same problem with Mariah. We used to call it her "Taz Mood" or that she was going "Taz" on us based on the Tazmanian Devil cartoon character. She too would go nuts if we tried to take something away from her and a few times when my kids (who are 18 & 13) tried to take her from my arms! They actually were becoming afraid of her!

One of the things we did to stop this is to have "training sessions". We would give her an everlasting treat ball - which she loves and that she had a habit of "tazing out" on us if we took it away. We chose this because it was too big/heavy for her to carry away quickly. With most things when she runs away we cannot catch her...she is simply too quick! We would purposely give the treat ball to her and shortly take it away while using the techniques described above to stop her from "tazing out". We would firmly tell her no and gently pin her down or tap her bottom. She learned quickly and eventually she stopped turning into "Taz" for everything!

One of the best pieces of advice I got was to teach them the command "leave it". She learned it nearly instantly and it is a huge help!
KathyK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!