View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
scoobymom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Cry Congenital vs. genetic Hendrick's house

I realize that I am a new yorkie owner and I don't know as much as you all about these amazing pups, but I do know a lot about Congenital vs. genetic birth defects.
First of all, Scooby is not teacup, he just hit 6 lbs. I did my research and Janice is right, they have great rankings with AKC on their home checks. As for their kennels, I have learned that one Yorkie is a stinker to keep up with, so what would naturally happen when you have more.

Now to the genetic and congenital issue. I have learned that animals and humans work the same on this issue. You see, my son, was born with a Congenital (meaning born with or existing at birth not caused by genetics) heart defect. Due to this, my family has undergone extensive genetic testing and we are all clear. And my second son was perfectly healthy. In other words, while my sons condition is 99% of the time genetic, sometimes it is just congenital and that there was no reason for it to occur at all. According to all the best that Baylor and Methodist have to offer, I can have 300 more kids and they would all be fine even though my son has a condition that is considered genetic in 99% of the cases (just not his). So if such things could occur with perfectly healthy humans, then why not dogs. Genetic (meaning passed down through DNA) and Congenital (meaning occured at birth) do not mean the same thing and all you have to do is look it up in a dictionary. It all seems pretty logical to me.
Now, everything I have read so far, This poor puppy's condition can be either congenital or genetic and the only way to know for sure is to test the parents. BUT, that is just from reading on the internet and not talking to the vets at A&M which I am considering since I still want another puppy and I have had such a wonderful experience with Janice. However, I don't know enough about the dog to find out if they believe this condition was genetic or congenial. Knowing the difference between the two, if it is truly congenital like Bleu's mom stated in her email, then I will have NO problems getting another baby from Hendrick's house, because I can recognize that nature happens sometimes, I live with it everyday.

I am having a very hard time understanding that one sick pup can prove that someone is a bad breeder. I would think that anyone that breeds dogs is going to have a sick one from time to time. I am very sorry for anyone that has received a sick puppy and for the puppies themselves but a sick dog does not make a bad breeder because sometimes, life happens, whether it is good or bad, whether we like it or not.
scoobymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!