View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #9
Lee B
YT 500 Club Member

A lot of times they will tell you not to split the pills or chewy things ... they say you can't be sure if you're getting the proper amount of medicine. I pretty much think that's a crock; if the medicine wasn't thoroughly mixed up, you would stand the risk of having "hot" pills and pills with absolutely nothing in them. The meds are well mixed: they just don't want you to conserve the cost by splitting the pills. It cuts into the bottom line.

When I get the Comfortis (which has a dose for 5-10 lb. dogs), the dogs will each get a full tab. But next month I may split one and give each dog a half pill and see how it works. Bella is 3.5 lbs.; Puddy is 6 lbs. So, Bella would get a shade more than what she needs and Puddy would get a shade less, but it will be interesting to see how it works. If it doesn't work out, then they'll go back to a tab each.

And yes: when I split the Frontline, 1/4 went to Bella, 1/4 went to Puddy, and the remaining 1/2 went to the Westie pup (who's larger).

Meds are too expensive to waste, and when it comes to ingesting pesticides, I'd just as soon ensure that they have the proper dose rather than a "range" which will more than likely give them too much. Personally, I'd rather not give them ANY treatment, but the fleas are just too bad around here.
Lee B is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!