View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
houndgirl
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default crate training an older dog?

let me just start off by saying i'm new. i don't know much about yorkies, but i'm trying to help my grandma train hers. i'm way more familiar with hounds and hound mixes. i know i've learned a lot from visiting forums related to my other pets (rats, turtles, fish, snails, etc.) and i'm hoping to gain some insight on training here!

my grandma and her 5-year-old male yorkie live in a trailer park, where the noise of him barking incessantly when she leaves the house bothers the neighbors to the point where he could get her evicted. she absolutely loves this dog, and i must say he's pretty spoiled. he doesn't have a crate, which i think is part of the problem- he's patrolling the whole house while she's gone, and can't keep track of it all, and he gets anxiety when there are outside noises.

that being said, i have an old crate that used to belong to my deceased and beloved beagle, which my grandma is going to take and repaint for her yorkie. he's about 20 lb, and the crate is a wire crate, 21"W X 27"H X 36"D. is this too big? it's pretty much our only option. are there modifications we should do?

she's also concerned about his age, that he won't like it because he's too old to learn it. i doubt this is true, but i'd appreciate any ideas i could give her to try. she's retired, so she has all day to spend with him, training him.

sorry if this is WAY too many questions at once! thanks!
houndgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!