View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Darlin Beauxs
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Hi,

I hope this makes you feel a little better. I bought Baxter and Cooper from two different breeders, a year apart. I had both of them home for about a week, and then they each got kennel cough. Both of them had had the first set of shots with the "well puppy check up" at my vet, then developed Kennel Cough. They hadn't even been in the grass yet, let alone around other dogs.

If you recently brought your puppy home, which I couldn't tell for sure, chances are the puppy got the kennel cough at the breeders, because my vet said the incubation period for it can be as long as 3 weeks.

When Baxter (puppy number one) started coughing and sneezing, I freaked and rushed him to the E_VEt. They gave me some antibiotics, and told me to follow up with reg vet if it didn't improve in say--maybe 3 days. (i don't remember the specifics)

Anyway, my vet said, both times, that Kennel Cough is kind of like a human cold, and antiobiotics (pills taken by mouth) won't stop it. He said you can see if it goes away on its own, and run the risk of it turning in to pneumonia, or getting what he called "trachea washes"

I had to bring both pups in 3 days in a row for injections in to the throat. It was costly, but I would say within 2 days of the last injections, they symptoms had vanished. I know it is upsetting to you, but just follow your vets advice (which may not be the same as my vet's) and this will all work out!
Amy
Darlin Beauxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!