View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #13
katelin
YT 1000 Club Member

I think your vet is right -- this is nothing to worry about today, and you can get it fixed tomorrow. Puppies with worms are so common, and if he is acting fine, then he probably is fine. The worms will give him a loose stool, so that is consistent.

If you are continuing to feed the rice/chicken, mix a little of his kibble in with it. They really need all the nutrients in the kibble, and you can gradually switch him back to a mostly (or all) kibble diet.

Pumpkin is for both diarrhea and constipation. A little will slow down the digestion and stop diarrhea -- a lot will provide enough fiber to cure constipation. I can never get mine to eat enough to do any good one way or the other. But it is a good natural remedy.

Not to gross you out, but once you get him on meds for the worms, be sure to wash all of his bedding really well in hot water. The worms can crawl out and lay eggs on the outside of the puppy, which get on the bedding and then he can reinfect himself. Also, you will need to be extra careful (and quick) to clean up all his messes. Dogs can pick up worms by just putting their nose on stool with worms or eggs in it. Fortunately, the treatment is pretty simple and effective. Good luck.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!