View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
SissaYSU
Senior Yorkie Talker

Unhappy absolutely horrifying choking scare with tyke :(

So...I am not sure if anyone else has this problem with their yorkie: Tyke (our oldest) eats too fast. He's never choked before but we tell him to slow down (and obviously, since he's a dog, he doesn't know what that means and keeps going). Today, though, scariest moment of my life!
I get him his food and he is halfway through and starts making funny noises. Kind of like that reverse sneezing sound but then it gets rougher and he can't walk and he can't hold his head up. I yell for my mom that Tyke is choking and try to hold him (was scared to at this moment, afraid of moving whatever was caught in his throat). By the time she comes up, he's making no noises and you could tell he was trying to cough or breathe. She grabs him and tries to sweep his mouth and got nothing...finally she finger swabbed him a bit more deeply and got a HUGE chunk of food that wasn't chewed up all the way out of his mouth...and then he proceeded to throw up quite a bit. After the choking scare, he was so shaken he couldn't even walk so my mom took him over to the rocking chair and rocked with him while we all were petting him and telling him we loved him and to never scare us like that again.
I've had to deal with choking babies at work and it's automatic what to do...but with our dogs, all I could think about was if he needed the heimlich...how on EARTH that gets done with a dog...so I watched helplessly as my mom kept finger swabbing him to get the rest out. That and you can't exactly call 911 for a choking dog so the thought of there being nothing we could do was terrifying to me and there were definately tears. Luckily, my mom got deep enough to find it and dislodge it. I normally hate cleaning up dog puke, today though I didn't seem to care nearly as much
Anyone out there ever have to do heimlich maneuver on a dog? I am trained in heimlich for infants, children and adults...but am clueless as to dogs...they don't exactly have first aid training for animals around here, at least not that I'm aware of.
Now I'm off to lay on the couch with my lil booger...and can breathe a bit easier...scariest.thing.EVER
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!